My Lips Are Sealed

Ross Lyon

#ControversyCorner

Last week on the show we roasted Ross the Boss for announcing the retirements of a couple of his Fremantle Dockers charge’s, however this week – Mum’s the word as Ross has decided that he no longer talks about player futures.

Ross, the media darling, said after his sides loss to the Bombers “I’m not here to talk about people’s futures. It’s not really how we should operate”. This came just a week after Ross spoke about the futures of Danyle Pearce and Michael Johnson with the flippant remark “it’s pretty obvious they’re going to exit” denying the club stalwarts the opportunity to announce their retirements from the game on their own terms.

In what was a typically tense, uptight media conference, Lyon answered very few questions on any topic claiming that from now on he was just going to coach. We’ll believe that when we see it.

ICC Toothless Tiger

#ControversyCorner by Donny Bell

Sri Lanka

It’s no wonder Dinesh Chandimal and Chandika Hathurusingha are all smiles after getting off lightly for cheating and bringing the game into disrepute.

The ICC has once again shown that it is powerless to impose reasonable sanctions against those individuals that cheat. Lets not beat around the bush – What the Australian’s did in South Africa was cheating. The penalty handed down by Cricket Australia was reasonable and justifiable, however if it was left in the hands of the international body the punishment would have been 1 test match rather than 1 year.

The fact that they were a laughing stock over their worthless handling of that incident has not led them to review their standards and processes at all. They are once again opening themselves up to ridicule after imposing the maximum penalty on  Sri Lanka following their display of blatant cheating and utter disregard for the reputation of the sport. The captain, coach and manager have each been suspended for 2 test matches and 4 one day internationals. What makes this even more laughable is that this meagre penalty is actually sterner than it would have been due to the fact they refused to take to the pitch in protest during the course of the match in question. For ball tampering alone the maximum penalty is still a solitary match.

The ICC is completely inadequate as an international sporting body and do little to uphold the integrity of the sport. The commentary during the incident in South Africa was that ball tampering is commonplace throughout all levels of cricket and this weak as water approach to the issue by the international watchdog will undoubtedly ensure that the practice remains rampant throughout the sport.

Do you think the Sri Lankan’s got off lightly? Do you think the punishment was fair and that Donny is over reacting?

WAFL Merger only Option for Fremantle Reserves

#ControversyCorner

John Townsend has reported in the West Australian that the only way for Fremantle to get a stand alone reserves side in the WAFL competition is for existing WAFL clubs to either fold or merge.

AFL 2013 Rd 07 - Fremantle v Collingwood

WAFC Chairman Mark McHenry has stated that the league cannot go beyond 10 teams. The even bigger hurdle for the Dockers is that McHenry has stated that Peel, Swan Districts and West Perth would not be considered for mergers due to their location in vital population growth corridors and given they are the teams that have had the most public financial issues the chances of a merger happening seem slim.

Brucey had his say on Wednesday’s show, saying that there was simply too much bad blood for teams like Subiaco and Claremont to combine. He said that it was utterly ridiculous for that to be a requirement, however he pointed out that the marriage between Peel and Fremantle had seemingly been much more acrimonious than the East Perth/West Coast relationship.

McHenry’s stance really fired up our resident Fremantle fan Sean Oleksenko who felt that the WAFL couldn’t allow West Coast to have a stand alone reserves team and then deny Fremantle the same.

Is this an unfair stance from the WAFC? Can you see any teams successfully merging in the WAFL?

3rd Place Playoff. Yes or No?

#Controversy Corner

Alby was pretty perplexed at the conclusion of the FIFA World Cup with regard to the 3rd place Playoff. He couldn’t understand why this game was played and what point it proved.

David MacRae from Local Media Services Company pointed out that every international tournament had a third place playoff, as did all the team events at Commonwealth Games and Olympics. Brucey was unaware of this and could not recall seeing it in any tournament in the past.

Belgium 3rd place

Fonz Tenaglia from Ellenbrook United points out the financial incentive of finishing 3rd being about $2 million extra, which certainly gives the nations a reason to want to win the match that seems like a non-event. However what about the players? Lee Evans from Ellenbrook Christian Rovers says “The players focus is to start the season in a few weeks with their respective clubs injury free.” He felt that the risk of injury was not worth the reward of finishing 3rd. The Assassin Sean Oleksenko had his unique take on the situation saying that any time you get to see England lose again is a game worth playing.

What’s your take? Is it a waste of time, or is there some value for players, fans and clubs in continuing this tradition?

What’s Going on at West Coast?

In #ControversyCorner Alby raised the question: What’s going on at the West Coast Eagles? The question was prompted by the East Perth Royals deciding on Monday to end their alignment with the Eagles at the end of the 2018 season. This came on the back of last months sudden revelation that SGIO were ending a 33 year relationship with the Eagles. Alby felt that the organisations, that would have behind the scenes information, appeared to be jumping off a sinking ship, despite all external indicators being inherently positive.

sgio-sponsorship

Donny added that the alignment between East Perth and West Coast had always been somewhat strained and it had not ever seemed to work as well as the Peel / Fremantle partnership. However, the SGIO decision seemed very hasty and contrary to previous statements of intent. He felt that it was strange for a sponsor to make such an announcement with the team sitting on top of the ladder, so perhaps there was some merit to Alby’s conspiracy theory. He added, though, that we may never know.

We’d like to know what our listeners think. Is there something fishy going on inside the Eagles? Is there more to the story, or are we drawing a long bow?

Play and Referee in NPL

This week Donny brought up a real head scratcher in #ControversyCorner

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 10.42.19 pm

During the course of the National Premier League (NPL) game between Perth Glory and Floreat Athena the referee, Tom Glavovic, suffered an injury. Glavovic was duly replaced by the standby referee and all was well with the world, however under NPL guidelines there always needs to be a standby referee in case of an injury. The officialdom scanned the vicinity and no suitable candidate could be found, so in order to allow the game to proceed they grabbed a player from the home teams bench and made him the standby referee.

Now Jordan Barbas, the Perth Glory reserve goal keeper was luckily not required to fulfil his role as an assistant referee at any stage during the match, however it is still a farcical situation for a high level competition like the NPL to be in. For the uninitiated this competition is the equivalent to the WAFL competition. This is just one level below the A-League. We understand that in park footy competitions the officials may be from one of the clubs, but the NPL should be much more professionally run than your Saturday social league competitions.

For the record it was a great match that ended in a 2-all draw. Could you imagine if Barbas was called upon and had to make a crucial call for offside in a close game?

Click here for all the NPL results from last weekend.

What do you think? Does the NPL need to sharpen up their act or are we trying to make a storm in a teacup?

Optus Throws in the Towel

#ControversyCorner

Article from perthnow.com.au Written by Matthew Benns from Daily Telegraph

SOCCER streaming failure Optus has finally given up on its $8 million World Cup campaign and agreed to let SBS broadcast the rest of its exclusive games.

SBS Team

The Telco was branded Floptus after it left football fans frustrated over playback errors and buffering delays during its early coverage of the group stage.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull even called the Optus chief to demand he fix the problem.

In response Optus asked SBS to screen all of the games in the group stage.

Today it said the free to air broadcaster would also show all the remaining games.

Optus had held the exclusive rights to half of the round of 16 games and to two of the quarterfinals.

It has also promised to refund punters the $14.99 they paid out to use the failed service.

Optus chief executive Allen Lew said: “Optus is here to push the boundaries of innovation in Australia and deliver choice to customers. We had technical issues with the Optus Sport service over the first weekend of the tournament but we are confident that these issues have now been addressed.

“All of us at Optus will use what we have learned from this experience to place ourselves ahead in the delivery of content to customers via streaming to their mobile devices,” Mr Lew said.

Optus is believed to have paid SBS $8 million for the right to screen all 64 of the World Cup games in exchange for allowing SBS to show one game a day, the finals and one English Premier League game a week.

But it turned into a disaster when fans could not access the feed. The telco has taken out full page ads in Friday’s papers to apologise to football fans.

Marketing experts say the company will also have had to apologise and refund companies who took out advertising on the promise of giant audiences.

Optus said it has now fixed the problem but with the games also being aired on SBS there has been no way to test the claim.

The SBS coverage of the Socceroos early morning knock out by Peru attracted 1.5 million viewers but games that reduced the Optus feed to a spinning circle of agony were attracting less than 400,000 viewers.

SBS chief executive Michael Ebeid said: “We’re pleased to be able to simulcast more of the 2018 FIFA World Cup matches with Optus.

“With 8 million Australians tuning into SBS’s coverage to date, we know how passionate the country is about the world game and are confident fans will continue to engage with the matches as we head towards the end of the competition in Russia,” he said.

SBS said it will continue to broadcast daily highlights in FIFA World Cup™ Today live from Red Square at 5.30pm each match day with expert analysis from Craig Foster and Lucy Zelić and commentary from Martin Tyler, as well as replays of the SBS Match of the Day each morning at 6.30am.