Last week on the show we roasted Ross the Boss for announcing the retirements of a couple of his Fremantle Dockers charge’s, however this week – Mum’s the word as Ross has decided that he no longer talks about player futures.
Ross, the media darling, said after his sides loss to the Bombers “I’m not here to talk about people’s futures. It’s not really how we should operate”. This came just a week after Ross spoke about the futures of Danyle Pearce and Michael Johnson with the flippant remark “it’s pretty obvious they’re going to exit” denying the club stalwarts the opportunity to announce their retirements from the game on their own terms.
In what was a typically tense, uptight media conference, Lyon answered very few questions on any topic claiming that from now on he was just going to coach. We’ll believe that when we see it.
#ControversyCorner by Donny Bell
It’s no wonder Dinesh Chandimal and Chandika Hathurusingha are all smiles after getting off lightly for cheating and bringing the game into disrepute.
The ICC has once again shown that it is powerless to impose reasonable sanctions against those individuals that cheat. Lets not beat around the bush – What the Australian’s did in South Africa was cheating. The penalty handed down by Cricket Australia was reasonable and justifiable, however if it was left in the hands of the international body the punishment would have been 1 test match rather than 1 year.
The fact that they were a laughing stock over their worthless handling of that incident has not led them to review their standards and processes at all. They are once again opening themselves up to ridicule after imposing the maximum penalty on Sri Lanka following their display of blatant cheating and utter disregard for the reputation of the sport. The captain, coach and manager have each been suspended for 2 test matches and 4 one day internationals. What makes this even more laughable is that this meagre penalty is actually sterner than it would have been due to the fact they refused to take to the pitch in protest during the course of the match in question. For ball tampering alone the maximum penalty is still a solitary match.
The ICC is completely inadequate as an international sporting body and do little to uphold the integrity of the sport. The commentary during the incident in South Africa was that ball tampering is commonplace throughout all levels of cricket and this weak as water approach to the issue by the international watchdog will undoubtedly ensure that the practice remains rampant throughout the sport.
Do you think the Sri Lankan’s got off lightly? Do you think the punishment was fair and that Donny is over reacting?
John Townsend has reported in the West Australian that the only way for Fremantle to get a stand alone reserves side in the WAFL competition is for existing WAFL clubs to either fold or merge.
WAFC Chairman Mark McHenry has stated that the league cannot go beyond 10 teams. The even bigger hurdle for the Dockers is that McHenry has stated that Peel, Swan Districts and West Perth would not be considered for mergers due to their location in vital population growth corridors and given they are the teams that have had the most public financial issues the chances of a merger happening seem slim.
Brucey had his say on Wednesday’s show, saying that there was simply too much bad blood for teams like Subiaco and Claremont to combine. He said that it was utterly ridiculous for that to be a requirement, however he pointed out that the marriage between Peel and Fremantle had seemingly been much more acrimonious than the East Perth/West Coast relationship.
McHenry’s stance really fired up our resident Fremantle fan Sean Oleksenko who felt that the WAFL couldn’t allow West Coast to have a stand alone reserves team and then deny Fremantle the same.
Is this an unfair stance from the WAFC? Can you see any teams successfully merging in the WAFL?
Alby was pretty perplexed at the conclusion of the FIFA World Cup with regard to the 3rd place Playoff. He couldn’t understand why this game was played and what point it proved.
David MacRae from Local Media Services Company pointed out that every international tournament had a third place playoff, as did all the team events at Commonwealth Games and Olympics. Brucey was unaware of this and could not recall seeing it in any tournament in the past.
Fonz Tenaglia from Ellenbrook United points out the financial incentive of finishing 3rd being about $2 million extra, which certainly gives the nations a reason to want to win the match that seems like a non-event. However what about the players? Lee Evans from Ellenbrook Christian Rovers says “The players focus is to start the season in a few weeks with their respective clubs injury free.” He felt that the risk of injury was not worth the reward of finishing 3rd. The Assassin Sean Oleksenko had his unique take on the situation saying that any time you get to see England lose again is a game worth playing.
What’s your take? Is it a waste of time, or is there some value for players, fans and clubs in continuing this tradition?
Check out our feature interview with Ellenbrook Eels player Aaron Power talking about the indigenous jersey the club will be wearing this weekend.
All three grades will be wearing the jersey designed by Kevin Bynder who has also designed this years indigenous jersey’s for the West Coast Eagles and the Port Adelaide Power.
All games this Saturday at the District Open Space with a bouncy castle for the kids from 12pm, with reserve grade kicking off at 12:35pm, there will be a welcome to country with the league game kicking off at 2:30pm. After the games are over there will be some live music until 9pm, with the awards, such as the Robert Schnaars medal for best on ground, will be presented at 6:30pm.
It seems that South Australia has borrowed from the Queensland mantra as the South Australian team named below seems to indicate that South Australia’s everywhere! #Blowtorch
In this team list you can see that 12 of the 20 players are from schools in Rockhampton and Mackay in Queensland as well as Menindee in NSW. Add to that the head coach and trainer are both from Mackay in Queensland and the manager is from Menindee in NSW. Paul Boyce described it on the League Talk Facebook page as an all time low for South Australia. Morgan Jones pointed out that Menindee is geographically closer to Adelaide than it is to Sydney as a tongue in cheek justification for those selections, plus the NRL SA does have an ongoing relationship with the Outback Rugby League competition in NSW.
Tracy Allen defended the selections saying that it was a temporary measure as they simply could not get kids in this age group to play rugby league in South Australia at the moment and they were working hard to build the competition up in order to be able to compete. She pointed out that without the ability to pad the team with players from outside the state 8 local boys would have missed out on the opportunity to compete in the national championships.
James “Sully” Sullivan from 91.3 Sport FM retorted that from a Western Australian perspective he really didn’t care and couldn’t understand the outrage from the “League Talk” community. His stance was that the WA team was going to get a solid game against a quality opposition as opposed to belting a team by 100 points and while they may not win the John Allen Trophy, quality games would do a hell of a lot more for their development over the long term.
As it turned out during the tournament South Australia were unable to win any games, drawing with the Northern Territory, before both Western Australia and Victoria came from behind to beat them. The Northern Territory beat them 20-14 today in their last game of the tournament.
So after a lot of people initially being very fired up about this issue and a general feeling that only South Australian’s should be allowed to represent a South Australian Schoolboys team. The mood softened quite considerably after a period of reflection, with the only remaining frustration being that they still referred to the team as South Australia, rather than an invitational side.
Dyson Heppell’s beard is (or rather was) a shocker, but it was all for a fantastic cause. Seen below you can see Dyson having the filthy mange shaved off by 6 year old Harrison to raise money and awareness for a very rare disease called Scleroderma.
You can check out the link above for more information on the disease, of which you Harrison is the youngest sufferer. Dyson Heppell’s grandmother was another afflicted with the condition. Dyson’s efforts have raised over $60,000 for the cause and even though the beard is now gone you can still donate funds at getbehindthebeard.com.au